If you live with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), it’s essential you have an action plan for flare-ups. According to COPD.net, actions plans serve three purposes: to help prevent flare-ups, to realize when you’re having a flare-up, and what to do when you’re experiencing a flare-up.
The best course of action is to try and prevent flare-ups from occurring in the first place. While you won’t always be successful, putting into practice good health habits will help.
Here are a few ways you can help prevent flare-ups:
- Quitting smoking
- Taking medication as directed
- Eating healthily
- Drinking plenty of water
- Resting well
- Exercising regularly
- Avoiding people who are ill
- Washing your hands regularly
- Avoiding lung irritants like pollution, dust, pet dander, secondhand smoke
- Getting yearly flu and pneumonia vaccinations